George Osborne to break silence on Brexit

Posted On: 
26th June 2016

George Osborne will tomorrow make his first public appearance since the EU referendum result was announced.

George Osborne was supporting a Remain vote in the EU referendum
Credit: 
PA Images

Opposition MPs have criticised the Chancellor for failing to respond to the historic decision of the British people, amid market turmoil and concerns about the implications on the economy.

Mr Osborne had been one of the most visible proponents of a Remain vote, issuing a series of warnings about the damage leaving the EU would have on the economy.

Sajid Javid says recession can be avoided following Brexit vote

BoE governor Mark Carney moves to reassure chaotic markets after Brexit

Michael Gove: I'll join Tory rebels in blocking George Osborne's 'Brexit Budget'

He will break his silence tomorrow, the Treasury has confirmed.

A department statement said: “The Chancellor will make a statement tomorrow morning ‎to provide reassurance about financial and economic stability in light of the referendum result and the actions that he and the rest of the Government will be taking to protect the national interest over the coming period.”

The only response to the referendum result was put out through his Twitter account on Friday.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Business Secretary Sajid Javid was quizzed about the Chancellor’s whereabouts when he appeared on the Andrew Marr Show earlier.

He said: “Of course I've been in touch with the Chancellor. He's been getting on with his job ever since the result.”

Mr Osborne's campaigning tactics had angered many pro-Brexit Conservatives.

His warning that Brexit would prompt him to unveil an emergency Budget, featuring tax rises and public spending cuts, resulted in more than 65 Tory MPs promising to defy their own government and vote down the package.