EXCL Video slammed by Jewish campaigners is still on Jeremy Corbyn's Facebook page

Posted On: 
22nd September 2016

A controversial video criticised as a “slap in the face” by Jewish campaign group is still posted on Jeremy Corbyn’s official Facebook page, PoliticsHome can reveal. 

The Board of Deputies said the video was a 'slap in the face' of the Jewish community
Credit: 
PA Images

The film, made by Mr Corbyn’s campaign team, features his supporters responding to a number of accusations often levelled at the Labour leader’s backers.

One of the questions is ‘Do you promote anti-Semitism?’ – in reference to a string of suspensions and expulsions over the last year.

Jeremy Corbyn: Labour conference will vote on tougher anti-Semitism rules

Momentum activist accused Jewish Labour MP of using anti-Semitism to 'disgrace the left'

Labour peer to quit party over anti-Semitism if Jeremy Corbyn remains leader

One of the participants in the video throws away a piece of paper with the question written on it and says “so that’s gone as well”.

The Board of Deputies of British Jews spoke to veteran left-winger Jon Lansman, Mr Corbyn's campaign director, who apparently agreed to withdraw the video.

It has since been taken down from YouTube and the main page of Mr Corbyn’s Facebook account, but it is still available to view on the ‘videos’ section of his page.

“The dismissive video was a ‘slap in the face’ for the Jewish community,” said Board of Deputies chief executive Gillian Merron in a statement released last night.

“Having spoken directly to campaign director Jon Lansman, the Jeremy for Labour campaign now recognises the inappropriate message conveyed and has committed to remove the video and apologise. This is the right result.

“It has been a bruising year for relations between the Labour party and the Jewish community.

“Whatever the result of the leadership election on Saturday, we will continue to demand that antisemitism is opposed across our politics with the requisite force and conviction.”

A spokesman for Mr Corbyn told the Jewish Chronicle the video had been produced by the campaign rather than the leader’s office. 

 

 

Mr Corbyn's campaign team did not respond to requests for comment from PoliticsHome this morning.