The Babraham Institute
Babraham Research Campus
The Babraham Institute undertakes innovative biomedical research to discover the molecular mechanisms that underlie normal cellular processes during development and ageing, and to understand how, over lifetime, their failure or abnormality may lead to disease. Breakthroughs have increased understanding of medical conditions like hypertension, cardiac arrhythmia and heart failure, infertility, cancer, diseases of the immune and nervous systems and bipolar disorders. This work will hopefully lead to new treatments for these conditions and cures for conditions where there is currently no treatment or where the existing treatment is not fully effective or causes serious side effects. The work of the Institute is recognised as internationally competitive, and in some areas, world-leading.
We also seek to understand better the societal context for our work and to actively and constructively engage with those who have concerns about either the ethical issues or technological implications surrounding our work.
The Institute is a registered charity, sponsored by the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC), to underpin its national responsibilities for healthcare research and training. Our research is also supported by the Medical Research Council (MRC) and many medical charities and other organisations. The Babraham Institute is located six miles south-east of the university city of Cambridge, UK
- Innovative Bioscience. The Babraham Institute is a registered biomedical charity carrying out world-leading innovative research and advanced training with relevance to the biomedical, biotechnological, pharmaceutical and healthcare research and user communities. We are sponsored by the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC), to underpin its national responsibilities for healthcare research and training. Our research is also supported by the Medical Research Council (MRC), many medical charities and other organisations. We are The Institute focuses in post-genomic biology and currently has 31 research group leaders.
- Areas of expertise. Interactive research teams employing a variety of small animal model and cell systems are brought together in a multidisciplinary environment organised into six overlapping Science Laboratories.
- Science to Business. The Institute's research effort underpins the overall healthcare responsibility of the BBSRC, our main sponsor, and aims to provide novel targets for the development of therapies and diagnostics of potential social and economic benefit.
- Babraham Research Campus. The Babraham Research Campus has been created as a knowledge-driven campus where the Babraham Institute and the trading subsidiary Babraham Bioscience Technologies Ltd (BBT) actively seek partnership with companies whose science meets with our remits. BBT runs a Bioincubator providing full business, scientific and technical mentoring to help biotechnology start-up companies be successful.
- Serving Society. As part of the UK science base, the Institute contributes to the wealth creation, quality of life and public understanding of science objectives of Government.
- Press Releases. News from the Institute and Babraham Bioscience Technologies Ltd