Boris Johnson backs minute's silence for NHS workers killed by coronavirus
Boris Johnson will take part in the minute's silence
Boris Johnson is set to take part in a minute's silence to pay tribute to NHS workers who have died from coronavirus.
Number 10 said all government workers would be asked to take part in the nationwide pause, which will be held at 11am on Tuesday.
Unison, the Royal College of Nursing and the Royal College of Midwives launched the campaign earlier this month for the public to take part in the moment of remembrance for "selfless" frontline staff who had died from the illness.
It comes after the Government announced last week that 84 health workers, including 69 NHS workers and 15 care workers, had so far died during the pandemic.
The Prime Minister's spokesperson on Monday said Mr Johnson would be taking part in the remembrance, and urged the public to also join in.
"We will be supporting the minute's silence," they said.
"We will be asking everybody who works in government to take part. And we would hope that others will take part nationwide as well."
Meanwhile, Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said the event would allow the public to "pay tribute" to frontline health workers.
"Every day during this crisis we see our key workers going out on the front line, risking their lives on behalf of us all," he said.
"Tragically, too many of them have lost their lives. We owe them a huge debt. We can pay tribute to those who have lost their lives by observing a minute’s silence at 11am."
PoliticsHome provides the most comprehensive coverage of UK politics anywhere on the web, offering high quality original reporting and analysis: Subscribe