Nigel Farage milkshake attacker pleads guilty to assault and criminal damage

Posted On: 
18th June 2019

A man has pleaded guilty to common assault and criminal damage after he threw a milkshake at Nigel Farage in Newcastle last month.

Nigel Farage pictured in Newcastle shortly after milkshake was thrown over him
PA Images

Paul Crowther was filmed walking up to and lobbing the banana and salted caramel drink at the Brexit Party leader as he campaigned in the city on 20 May, ahead of the EU elections.

The 32-year-old was promptly arrested and later charged by Northumbria Police.

WATCH: Nigel Farage attacks ‘radicalised’ Remain supporters after being hit by milkshake

Boost for Nigel Farage as shock poll puts Brexit Party in top spot for next general election

Donald Trump calls for Nigel Farage to join Brexit negotiations

According to the Independent, he told journalists immediately following the incident: “It’s a right of protest against people like him.

“The bile and the racism he spouts out in this country is far more damaging than a bit of milkshake to his front.”

A Gofundme page entitled "Get Paul Crowther his milkshake money back" was later set up and raised £1,705.

It came after other pro-Brexit figures including former English Defence League leader Tommy Robinson and Ukip candidate Carl Benjamin were targeted in separate incidents.

Mr Farage later blamed the trend on anti-Brexit protesters, who he said had been emboldened by politicians who had failed to lead the UK out of the EU on time.

“Sadly some Remainers have become radicalised, to the extent that normal campaigning is becoming impossible,” he said in a tweet.

“For a civilised democracy to work you need the losers’ consent, politicians not accepting the referendum result have led us to this.”

Mr Crowther appeared at North Tyneside Magistrates Court on Tuesday, where he admitted the charges, which included criminal damage in relation to a microphone.

District Judge Bernard Begley said he will not be jailed, but must carry out unpaid work.

He adjourned sentence while the defendant was interviewed by the Probation Service.