When James Tye created the British Safety Council in 1957, thousands of people were being killed at work every year in the UK, while many more suffered serious injuries and disease. He worked tirelessly to prevent this and kick-started campaigns for seat belt laws and comprehensive protection for all workers. His efforts contributed to the creation of the Health and Safety at Work Act in 1974. Far ahead of his time, he helped to establish the British Wellness Council in 1979, which dealt with such issues as repetitive strain and stress.
Since its inception, the British Safety Council has been working and campaigning on a variety of platforms to keep workers safe. More recently, it has focused its activities on workplace health and well-being, including mental health.
In a nutshell:
• The British Safety Council is a membership organisation and a charity committed to promoting good practice and continuous improvement in the area of health, safety and environmental management.
• The Council does not have a regulatory function but its activities are focused on building relationships with businesses to support them in improving health and safety standards.
• We facilitate collaboration between business, helping the industry to share experience and good practice.
• The British Safety Council provides audit services against recognised international health and safety standards, as well as an audit consultative scheme (A five-star audit) recognised as the gold standard by the industry.
• We run engaging and highly interactive health, safety and environmental management training courses created for people responsible for managing risk within a business. They are designed to help organisations become fully compliant with Health and Safety Executive regulation.
• The British Safety Council is the UK regulated Awarding Organisation offering a complete suite of health and safety qualifications from Entry Level to Level 6 in the Qualifications and Credit Framework. Our qualifications are delivered by more than 700 Approved Centres in the UK and overseas.