Achievements of construction managers recognised at CIOB Awards
Kier Construction’s Joe O'Connell receives Construction Manager of the Year award
- More than 20 individuals and teams recognised at annual CIOB Awards
- Kier Construction’s Joe O-Connell named Construction Manager of the Year
- Awards presented by TV and radio personality Anita Rani at black-tie event in London
The annual Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) Awards event was staged in London on Wednesday, September 28 and celebrated the achievements of construction leaders from across the UK.
Around 600 guests gathered at the Grosvenor Hotel where, awards were presented to more than 20 individuals and organisations responsible for some of the most challenging construction projects ranging from new schools, leisure centres, offices and homes.
For the first time awards were also given specifically for sustainability and equality, diversity and inclusion (ED&I), reflecting two of the biggest challenges currently faced by the construction industry.
The most coveted award of the night, Construction Manager of the Year, was presented to Joe O’Connell for his work on Exeter’s St Sidwell’s Point Leisure Centre.
Joe was chosen following his management of the £44m project, which opened in April this year and was the first ultra-low carbon leisure centre in the UK. Its design means its energy costs are around 70 per cent less than a more traditional leisure centre. The CIOB judges singled out Joe for his management of the large-scale project in a challenging city centre location.
He, and all the other winners, were presented with their awards by TV and radio presenter, Anita Rani.
Joe said: “It’s a privilege to have been shortlisted for the award, let alone win it, and it’s all very unexpected. To have your professionalism recognised by other professionals from within your industry means a great deal and an award from CIOB is something to be really proud of.”
The other winners on the night were:
- Rising Star – Sophie Leake
- EDI individual – Rebecca Lovelace
- EDI company – St Modwen
- Client Award – Sheffield Hallam Uni
- Sustainability – Caron Johnson
- Team Award - Kier
- CMYA Healthcare Gold – Daryl Parker
- CMYA Healthcare Silver – Matt Davies
- CMYA Higher Education Gold – Christopher Purchase
- CMYA Higher Education Silver – Matthew Friedmann
- CMYA Junior/Primary School Gold – Amy Griffiths
- CMYA Junior/Primary School Silver – Adrian Mills
- CMYA Office Gold – Connor O’Keeffe
- CMYA Office Silver – John McCarthy
- CMYA Public and Leisure Gold – Joe O’Connell
- CMYA Public and Leisure Silver – Colin Tilley
- CMYA Refurb and Restoration Gold – Bill Taylor
- CMYA Refurb and Restoration Silver – Francisco Javier Fernandez Nuevo
- CMYA Residential and Accommodation Gold – Stephen Pedro
- CMYA Residential and Accommodation Silver – Kevin Larkin
- CMYA Secondary Schools Gold – Ed Dwight
- CMYA Secondary Schools Silver – Mark Turner
The CIOB Awards, formerly the Construction Manager of the Year Awards, first started in 1978 and celebrate the individuals behind construction projects of all sizes including residential buildings as well as those used for education, business, healthcare and leisure. They have provided a springboard for many careers with winners having gone on to work on iconic landmarks like Canary Wharf and The Shard.
Caroline Gumble, CEO at CIOB, said: “The range of talent on display at this year’s awards has been truly inspirational and it’s wonderful to see so many examples of leadership and a focus on delivering a high-quality built environment. Our congratulations go to all our winners who are making a difference to others within the built environment sector and the communities they build for.”