Impact of cuts on vulnerable and disadvantaged
The Red Book: The impact of government cuts on the most vulnerable and disadvantaged children
Action for Childrenprovide to three groups of children could be affected by the government's cuts, according to their recent publication
The Red Book:
• Care leavers
• Young carers
• Disabled children
Action for Childrenrun services which offer a range of help and support for young people who are
These services help with their transition to independent living, providing vital support when it's needed most.
However their work with this vulnerable group of young people is proving more difficult. Their research found that services were reporting:
• A reduction in their budgets, affecting over 300 children
• An increase in the cost of running the service
• An increase in demand for service
The charity fears that care leavers will not be given the right level of support at this pivotal point in their lives.
Download Action for Children’s findings on the impact on care leavers
Action for Children supports children and young people who
care for a parent or sibling.
They have seen the needs of young carers increase, as well as seeing cases where families are now relying on their child to provide them with the care that the state had previously provided.
As well as this services reported:
• A decrease in budget for 86% of our services
• Budget cuts of 40% or more for 22% of these
• An increased reliance on donations for holiday trips and activities
They fear young carers are now at risk of missing out on the crucial support they need.
Download Action for Children’s findings on the impact on young carers
Action for Children have provided
short breaks servicesfor over 20 years.
These services are proven to:
• Achieve positive outcomes for disabled children and young people
• Reduce family stress
• Prevent families from reaching crisis point
• Save the state money
Although the Department for Education has increased funding for short breaks over the next four years, Action for Children are reporting that:
• Nearly half of service managers face a decrease in their overall budget.
• The majority of these received cuts of upto 10%
• One service saw their budget cut by upto 30%
• One service, which faced no change in budget, had to cut a managerial and senior post to maintain the same level of service
Download Action for Children’s findings on the impact of children and young people with disabilities
Get the inside track on what MPs and Peers are talking about. Sign up to The House's morning email for the latest insight and reaction from Parliamentarians, policy-makers and organisations.