Menu
Mon, 22 July 2024

Newsletter sign-up

Subscribe now
The House Live All
We need a heart disease action plan to end heartbreak for good Partner content
By British Heart Foundation
Health
“The Forgotten Majority”: Leading Charities Call for Action to Tackle Long-Term Conditions Partner content
Health
The next UK government must ensure health, safety and wellbeing standards are upheld Partner content
Health
Parliament Unwrapped: What did the 2019-2024 Parliament mean for workers’ health, safety, and wellbeing? Partner content
Health
Five-point manifesto to support people and families living with obesity Partner content
Health
Press releases

The future of carbon monoxide safety: a Parliamentary panel is to discuss how we can defend ourselves against the silent killer

Policy Connect

2 min read Partner content

This event follows recommendations made in the APPCOG’s 2015 inquiry report Carbon Monoxide: from awareness to action and the Royal College of Physician’s & Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health’s report Every Breath We Take.


On Monday 25th April from 4pm until 6pm, the All-Party Parliamentary Carbon Monoxide Group (APPCOG) will be convening a panel of experts in energy safety, to discuss the future of carbon monoxide safety in the domestic environment. The panel will be chaired by Barry Sheerman MP (Huddersfield), Co-chair of the APPCOG. 

This event follows recommendations made in the APPCOG’s 2015 inquiry report Carbon Monoxide: from awareness to action and the Royal College of Physician’s & Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health’s report Every Breath We Take. Both reports highlighted the need to consider the impacts of indoor air pollutants, including carbon monoxide.

The panel will be held in Parliament and feature contributions from Jane Everton of the Department for Communities and Local Government; Professor Paul Harrison who contributed to the RCH & RCPCH report; and Stacey Rodgers, a constituent of Barry’s, whose 10 year old son tragically lost his life to CO poisoning due to a faulty appliance in a neighbouring home. 

Carbon monoxide safety in the home is a serious issue: over 30 people lose their lives to carbon monoxide poisoning in England alone every year. Legislation at present is unequal: whilst all properties in the private rented sector in Scotland must have a CO alarm fitted by the landlord, in England only properties which contain a solid fuel-burning appliance (only 8% of rental properties) require an alarm to be fitted. This means millions of householders in the private rented sector across England are left unprotected from the ‘silent killer’. Indeed, the APPCOG previously stated in October 2015 that the current government legislation does not go far enough to protect private rental residents,  and continues to campaign for wider reaching carbon monoxide safety policies across the UK.This panel discussion will attempt to assess what action policymakers can take to protect householders across the country from CO poisoning, and also what actions householders can take to protect themselves and their loved ones from the ‘silent killer’. 

The event is open to all who are interested in carbon monoxide, home safety and government policy on energy safety. 

In order to register to attend, please register via Eventbrite, or contact the All-Party Parliamentary Carbon Monoxide Group Manager Richard Denham on richard.denham@policyconnect.org.uk / 0207 202 8581. 

 

Categories

Health