Sun, 5 December 2021

Newsletter sign-up

Subscribe now
The House Live All
Transforming care for long-term conditions must be at the heart of the NHS recovery Partner content
Coronavirus
How we can wise up to disconnection Partner content
By Wise Group
Coronavirus
Building an Inclusive Workforce: How a New Industry Charter Aims to Transform Diversity in the Construction Sector Partner content
Communities
Press releases
By Women in Westminster

Ex-SNP MP will not face charges after fraud case dropped

Ex-SNP MP will not face charges after fraud case dropped

Emilio Casalicchio

2 min read

A former SNP MP will not face criminal proceedings over allegations of mortgage fraud after the case against her was dropped due to insufficient evidence.


Michelle Thomson - who has always denied any wrongdoing - said she had been “completely exonerated”.

The ex-Edinburgh West MP gave up the whip in 2015 after police launched an investigation into “alleged irregularities relating to property deals”.

She was subsequently deselected by the SNP ahead of the general election in June this year and decided not to stand as an independent.

But the Crown Office has decided not to pursue criminal proceedings due to an absence of “sufficient credible and reliable evidence”.

Ms Thomson, who was one of five people named in the case police report, said: "Yesterday I received news from the Crown Office that confirmed I have been completely exonerated by the police investigation into a solicitor I used in 2010.

"I am eternally grateful to my SNP colleagues in Westminster who supported me so strongly throughout this time.

"I also thank Police Scotland and the Crown Office for their courtesy and professionalism."

She added: "I made clear before I entered politics that I wished to use my skills, drive and experience to help shape a better Scotland, and that desire remains as strongly as it did when I became very involved in the 2014 independence referendum.

"However, for the time being this will need to take a different form. I now intend to take a few days of reflection to consider my next steps."

A Crown Office spokeperson said: "The procurator fiscal received a report concerning four men aged 48, 56, 59 and 59, and one woman aged 51, in relation to alleged incidents between June 16 2010 and July 26 2011.

"After careful consideration of the facts and circumstances of the case, Crown counsel concluded there was an absence of sufficient credible and reliable evidence and there should be no criminal proceedings at this time."

PoliticsHome Newsletters

PoliticsHome provides the most comprehensive coverage of UK politics anywhere on the web, offering high quality original reporting and analysis: Subscribe

Partner content
Connecting Communities

Connecting Communities is an initiative aimed at empowering and strengthening community ties across the UK. Launched in partnership with The National Lottery, it aims to promote dialogue and support Parliamentarians working to nurture a more connected society.

Find out more