UK advertising export group marks Export Month following a £21m bumper year for global trade missions
A series of hybrid events will mark Export Month in March, including UK Advertising at SXSW, an exclusive Export Report discussion with Damian Collins MP, a dedicated new business tool on UKAEG’s website, and an exploration of the ad opportunities ahead of November’s FIFA World Cup.
UK advertising will celebrate Export Month in March with a series of hybrid events aimed at boosting global opportunities for advertising trade from the UK. The month builds upon a year of highly successful trade missions generating £21million worth of new business for members, in events reaching over half a million delegates.
The fourth annual Export Report will be released on March 2 by the UK Advertising Export Group (UKAEG), and contains the very first data on how advertising exports responded to the global Covid-19 lockdowns.
In an extended programme, UKAEG will visit eight regions in eight weeks, including in-person trade missions to events such as SXSW in addition to hosting virtual missions with networking opportunities to India and Amsterdam amongst others. The month will culminate in an event hosted at the Carlton Club on March 29 featuring senior political figures including Damian Collins MP.
The Export Month campaign is led by UKAEG, the advertising industry partnership run by the Advertising Association, the IPA, APA, BPMA, and the Creative Industries Council. It brings together over 50 leading creative businesses with UK Government’s Department for International Trade (DIT) to build exports of advertising services internationally and follows a series of successful virtual business events set up during the pandemic, under the umbrella of UK House.
Significant moments planned for Export Month include:
- The fourth annual UK Advertising Export Report – With research from UK advertising think tank Credos, the industry’s latest performance figures will reveal the first data on the effect of the Covid-19 pandemic on UK exports and shine a light on changes to advertising markets, including e-commerce services. Released on March 2, the report will feature new research into current industry sentiment, case studies, op-eds and profiles from UKAEG members.
- Export discussion with industry ministers at the Carlton Club – senior political figures will give their reaction to the Export Report’s findings at a special event on March 29 at the Carlton Club. The event will feature Damian Collins MP, Ruth Edwards MP and members of the Digital Tories, along with providing an opportunity to meet the SXSW team.
- UK Advertising at SXSW – UKAEG is working with the Department for International Trade (DIT) once again this year to showcase the best of UK advertising at SXSW and support companies’ growth strategies in the USA. UKAEG and companies will be on the ground and on March 12. UK House at SXSW will present thought leadership on innovation, sustainability, gaming and more, acting as the home away from home for UK companies with multiple meeting areas and space for up to 150 people in the audience.
- Exploring ad opportunities at FIFA World Cup – The FIFA World Cup is a truly global brand. The World Cup will be held for the first time in the Middle East from 21 November to 18 December 2022, at a time when UK advertisers are getting ready to launch their festive campaigns. UKAEG’s event will look at the global opportunities for UK advertising around the World Cup while providing an understanding of the branding guidelines.
- Going Global Masterclasses – The Going Global Masterclass is a special event aimed at any UK advertising and marketing services business which has ambitions to build its international revenue through new business in new markets. Now in its second year, company leaders will share their strategies and success stories about doing business with other countries and answer attendees’ questions.
- New business tool on the UK Advertising, Made Global website – March will see the launch of a new search and selection tool for companies seeking new business around the world on UK Advertising Made Global’s website. This will expand the site’s current remit as a fully developed online showcase for UK advertising to international advertising and marketing services buyers. The site will be updated here on March 1.
- Beyond March? UK House on Tour continues in 2022 via Cannes Lions – UKAEG is working with DIT to continue its tour of markets, offering British businesses the chance to promote their services and meet with potential international partners and buyers. From June 20-24, a special in-person trade mission to Cannes Lion will take place, with details announced during Export Month. Find out more at: https://adassoc.org.uk/events/
Janet Hull, Chair of UKAEG, Member Creative Industries Council, and IPA Director of Marketing Strategy said: “Creative excellence is the hallmark of UK advertising and the trade opportunities afforded by the UK’s vast advertising services market are second to none. With the UK boasting the world’s most advanced digital advertising market, it is only right that businesses have the opportunity to celebrate and increase their reach during Export Month.
“Last November saw DIT launch a new export strategy with a £1 trillion export target, and UKAEG’s role is fundamental in championing the advertising industry’s place in generating export business for the UK economy in our recovery landscape.
“As we prepare to launch the fourth annual Export Report and look to host our first in-person events since the start of the pandemic, we are excited to be working in partnership with the UK Government to promote the UK as a centre of advertising excellence on the global stage.”
Stephen Woodford, Chief Executive, Advertising Association, said: “Export Month is the best way to learn about the opportunities UK advertising offers to help businesses reach global markets. UK advertising demonstrated impressive resilience and agility during the coronavirus pandemic, quickly following changes in consumer behaviour via e-commerce and adapting to further strengthen brands online. Our March programme aims to equip businesses for the dynamic year ahead – including the return of our mission to SXSW, our Going Global Masterclass and an event looking ahead to November’s FIFA World Cup.
“We look forward to building on the immense success of our UK House events, in partnership with the Department for International Trade, which last year hosted virtual trade missions to engage with over 500,000 delegates from over 40 countries. These reap demonstrable rewards: our efforts in China have resulted in £21.1m worth of new business for companies who took part in the mission.”
Neil Henderson, CEO of St Luke’s, added: “UKAEG enables companies to accelerate their global growth by amplifying their messages to the world’s stage. From Cannes Lions membership for each UKAEG member company, to marketing exposure on a global platform across social channels from DIT and UK advertising industry bodies, the benefits Export Month will provide are exceptional.”
Free registration for all events in the programme is now open via https://adassoc.org.uk/events/