Police Drop Sexual Assault Investigation Into Conservative MP
The Metropolitan police has dropped its investigation into senior Tory MP Julian Knight. (Alamy)
2 min read
Conservative MP Julian Knight has been cleared by the Metropolitan police of an allegation of serious sexual assault, he has confirmed in a statement.
The senior Tory MP and culture committee chair had the Conservative whip suspended in December pending investigation.
He has always denied the allegation, last month claiming he had "incontrovertible proof" of his innocence and "clear documentary evidence of a conspiracy to blackmail" him.
In a statement on Wednesday the Met police said: "On 28 October 2022, police received allegations of serious sexual assault against un-named victims reported to have taken place on unknown dates at undisclosed locations.
"On 7 December 2022, a further referral relating to the incident[s] was made and an investigation was launched. Police are no longer proceeding with an investigation.
"There have been no arrests."
Responding to the police's decision to drop their investigation, the Solihull MP said the investigation was based on "a single, false and malicious allegation" by people who had "their own clear motives for doing so". He also criticised the Conservative whips office and the police.
"In publicly naming me in connection with the allegation, the Conservative whips office acted disgracefully and in breach of natural justice by removing my anonymity," he said.
"Their actions meant my name was dragged through the mud and my good reputation immeasurably damaged."
He added: "Had the police taken the simple step at the outset of interviewing me under caution they would have seen that the allegation was false and scandalous.
"Instead, they waited four months, without ever talking to me, before deciding there was nothing for them to investigate.
"I have been left effectively to prove my innocence through my public statements and letters to the commissioner of the Metropolitan Police and the chief whip. That cannot be right."
Knight called for his whip to be restored, adding he would pursue legally those "inside and outside parliament involved in having this allegation brought against [him]" and that his "good reputation [has been] immeasurably damaged".
According to PA, a spokesperson for chief whip Simon Hart said Knight will not have the whip restored “following further complaints made to the whips office".
PoliticsHome provides the most comprehensive coverage of UK politics anywhere on the web, offering high quality original reporting and analysis: Subscribe