UK security adviser accused of trying to ‘screw over’ MoD over funding

Posted On: 
27th November 2017

The UK's national security adviser has been accused of trying to "screw over" the Ministry of Defence following reports that the department will miss out on extra funding.

The military could miss out on further funding
Credit: 
PA Images

National security advisor Mark Sedwill is instead believed to have pushed for greater investment in fighting cyberattacks, as part of his major national security review.

The move not to lift the £36bn annual budget of the squeezed military is said to have frustrated MPs and ministers, with one ministerial source telling The Telegraph Mr Sedwill “is determined to screw over MoD.”

Minister threatens to resign over defence cuts

Tory backbenchers threaten rebellion over defence cuts

Gavin Williamson 'flabbergasted' to get Defence Secretary job amid Tory MPs' fury

A ministerial source added: “The problem is the NSA [Mr Sedwill] is driving a ‘within-the-costs-envelope’ approach at everyone.”

The MoD is understood to have been given until the end of the year to contribute its ideas towards the national security review.

It comes as new Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson is set to meet Philip Hammond to push for an extra £2bn a year for his department to prevent more cuts.

Yesterday Liam Fox, who formerly held the post, admitted there were “tensions” in the MoD about defence spending cuts.

“There’s a review going on at the present time and I think back to my time as secretary of state for defence where we had a similar review ongoing and there’s always a lot of tension,” he told Sky News.

“Not just between the MoD and the Treasury but also inside the MoD between the different parts of the armed forces and naturally there are concerns about the future shape of that.”

On Saturday defence minister Tobias Elwood threatened to resign if the cuts go ahead. 

Meanwhile, former soldier and Defence committee member Johnny Mercer tweeted that he was: "Heading back into town for another scrap this week."

 

 

Around 25 Tories wrote to Philip Hammond ahead of his budget last week, urging him to increase defence spending.