Armed forces launch MoD bunker team to plan deployments in case of no-deal Brexit

Posted On: 
22nd March 2019

Britain’s armed forces have set up a team in a nuclear-proof bunker underneath the Ministry of Defence as part of preparations for a no-deal Brexit, officials have said.

The Ministry of Defence's Main Building in London's Whitehall
Credit: 
PA Images

Around 3,500 troops are being held “at readiness” to help with contingency plans if the UK crashes out of the European Union next month without an agreement.

Sky News says troops will be ready to be deployed at a day's notice from Monday, to take on roles such as helping to transport food, fuel and other goods into and around Britain.

Government confirms plan to call up army reservists in the event of no-deal Brexit

Jeremy Corbyn accuses Theresa May of pushing ‘Project Fear’ with no-deal contingency planning

Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar warns of army border patrols under no-deal Brexit

The UK had been due to quit the EU next Friday, however last night Theresa May won an unconditional extension that could see the country remain in the bloc until 12 April.

The preparations, which officials point out are part of wider government planning - are being run under the banner of ‘Operation Redfold’.

The mission is the military part of cross-Whitehall preparations for a no-deal exit, known as Operation Yellowhammer.

A MoD spokesman said: “We are always willing to support wider government planning for any scenario, and we have committed to holding 3,500 troops at readiness to aid contingency plans.

“We will consider any requests from other government departments if they feel defence capability could contribute to their no-deal planning.”