Ministers set to publish ‘no deal’ Brexit plans

Posted On: 
19th August 2018

The Government is set to release plans for a ‘no deal’ Brexit in a series of technical notices this Thursday.

Dominic Raab Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab will continue Brexit negotiations in Brussels this week
Credit: 
PA

The papers will offer advice to businesses, public bodies and citizens on how to prepare for the possibility of Britain leaving the bloc next March without an agreement.

The Government is expected to publish around 70 technical notices between now and late September.

Nigel Farage heading 'back on the road' in fresh Brexit campaign

Britain would regret no deal Brexit ‘for generations’, Jeremy Hunt warns

Club chairs warn Brexit could be 'hugely damaging' to football in England

Dominic Raab said the advice would "mitigate the risks and make sure the UK is ready to make a success of Brexit".

The Brexit Secretary - who will continue negotiations in Brussels this week – added that the papers would "clearly set out the steps that people, businesses and public services need to take in the unlikely event that we don't reach an agreement".  

Downing Street said the advice was "sensible, proportionate, and part of a common sense approach to ensure stability, whatever the outcome of talks".

The move comes after Jeremy Hunt warned that the UK would regret crashing out of the EU without a deal “for generations”.

Speaking during a tour of the continent, the Foreign Secretary said a ‘no deal’ Brexit would be a "huge geo-strategic mistake".

Meanwhile, an Opinium poll for the Observer has found that 40% of people now believe the UK will crash out of the EU without a deal – up from 31% last month.

Only 22% think Britain will eventually secure an agreement, while 16% believe Britain will not leave the EU in March.